134th Infantry Regiment Crest

134th Infantry Regiment

"All Hell Can't Stop Us"

35th Infantry Division emblem

Report of Action Against the Enemy

320th Infantry Regiment

April 1 to April 30, 1945

 

Auth: CG 35th Inf Div

Initials: R G C

Date: 22 May 1945

HEADQUARTERS 320TH INFANTRY

APO 35 U S ARMY

6 May 1945

 

SUBJECT: Action Against Enemy, Report After.

 

TO : The Adjutant General, Washington, D. C. (thru channels)

  1. In compliance with the provisions of Par 10, C3, AR 345-105, submitted below is report after action against enemy for the 320th Infantry covering the period 1-30 April 1945.

1 April 1945: At start of period the 320th Infantry Regiment occupied objective along the north bank of the Emscher Canal from 440228 to 547276, protecting the right flank of the 35th Infantry Division. The Second Battalion continued to meet heavy resistance from the Prosper mine and factory area vic 445228. At 1030 the First Battalion, which was the left battalion, was ordered to extend their defensive sector to the east to vic 562280. By 1330 the First Battalion had occupied and organized their new positions extending from 523260 to 562283. By 1635 the Second Battalion had succeeded in clearing the factory area and was relieved in that sector by the 315th Infantry, 79th Division. Upon relief, the Second Battalion moved to extend the regiment’s defensive position to the east to secure the expanding regimental zone and had organized and occupied a ground with the right flank at 562283 and with the left flank at 595283. The Third Battalion’s position extending along the canal from 484242 to 523260 was unchanged throughout the period.

 

2 April 1945: During this period the 320th Infantry Regiment continued to occupy defensive positions along the Emscher and Rheine Herne canals improving defensive positions and actively patrolling to the south during the hours of darkness.

 

3 April 1945: The 320th Infantry Regiment continued to occupy and improve positions and patrol districts south of the Rheine Herne canal.

 

4 April 1945: The 134th Infantry Regiment, pursuant to field order No. 37 from Headquarters 35th Infantry Division, relieved our Second Battalion and C Company of the First Battalion, on the left of our regimental sector. Relief was completed by 2200. At the end of the period, the 320th Infantry Regiment occupied defensive positions from 483240 to 548274 with the Third Battalion on the right, the First Battalion on the left and the Second Battalion in regimental reserve. The regiment continued its active patrolling south of the Rheine Herne Canal.

 

5 April 1945: The situation and dispositions remained unchanged except that F Company, 320th Infantry Regiment, was attached to the 16th Corps as security guard.

 

6 April 1945: The 320th Infantry Regiment continued to occupy defensive positions along the Rheine Herne Canal until relieved by elements of the 79th Infantry Division and the 134th Infantry Regiment. The 320th Infantry Regiment was attached to the 75th Infantry Division. Company F of the 320th Infantry Regiment was released from attachment to Headquarters 16th Corps at 061600. At end of the period the Third Battalion had been relieved by elements of the 79th Infantry Division and were in assembly area vic 4925. The First and Second Battalions were enroute to vic Waltrop to relieve elements of the 116th Infantry Regiment, 29th Infantry Division, attached to the 75th Infantry Division.

 

7 April 1945: The Second Battalion, 320th Infantry Regiment, completed relief of elements of the 116th Infantry Regiment at 070245. The First Battalion completed relief of elements of the 116th Infantry Regiment by 070930. The Third Battalion closed into new area vic 775360 in regimental reserve at 1000. Mission of the regiment was to protect the left flank of the 75th Infantry Division. An air strike on Brechten (811316) approximately 1500 yards south of our front lines was completed at 1845. Brechten had been observed as a communications hub for enemy movement to the woods to the north vic 812321 and 818325. At the end of the period, the 320th Infantry Regiment occupied positions as follows: First Battalion (-) from 776314 to 787314 to 798321. The Second Battalion occupied a defensive sector extending from 798321 NE to the Lippe River at 820357. The Third Battalion (-) was in regimental reserve vic 775360. Company L was enroute to take up defensive position along the west side of the Dortmund-Ems canal from 778311 to 793284. It was to be attached to the First Battalion, 320th Infantry Regiment and relieve elements of the 289th Infantry Regiment. Company C was enroute to take up defensive positions extending from 793284 to 791263 to 784263, relieving elements of the 289th Infantry Regiment.

 

8 April 1945: The 320th Infantry Regiment continued to protect the left flank of the 75th Infantry Division, occupying defensive positions as follows: First Battalion extending from 776314 to 787314 to 798321. Company C completed relieving elements of the 289th Infantry Regiment at 0700 and occupied positions along the Dortmund-Ems canal from 793284, south to 791263 west to 784263. The Second Battalion extended from 798321 NE to the Lippe River at 820357. Company L completed relief of elements of the 289th Infantry Regiment at 0010 and occupied defensive positions from 778311 to 793284.

 

9 April 1945: The 320th Infantry Regiment continued its defense with dispositions unchanged. Enemy attack in battalion strength directed at our C Company from vic of woods at 792265 and buildings at 789263 was repulsed with heavy artillery and concentrated small arms and MG fire. Company K was alerted on order of the CG, 75th Division to move to the sector of the 290th Infantry Regiment, for attachment and relief of that unit’s A Company. Resultant intermixture of companies in adjacent front line positions without tactical integrity was regarded as undesirable, but was necessitated by receipt of successive orders for one company commitments necessitating use of companies available to be employed.

 

10 April 1945: The 320th Infantry Regiment continued to occupy defensive positions unchanged. At close of period the regiment was given a mission to establish contact with the 95th Infantry Division coming in from the east to clear Brechten, the right boundary being the Dortmund-Ems canal, left boundary 82 vertical grid line, and limit of advance south to horizontal 28 grid line.

 

11 April 1945: The 320th Infantry Regiment, First and Second Battalions leading, Third Battalion in reserve, attacked in zone. Prior to daylight, the First and Second Battalions sent strong combat patrols forward to facilitate their advance by securing enemy OPL as LD (line of departure) for attack. This plan was successful, surprising and capturing elements of the outpost. The Second Battalion attacked with two companies on line. The First Battalion jumped off in a column of companies. By 0610, the First Battalion had reached a position vic 793305 and was moving against no reported opposition. The Second Battalion’s E Company, the right company, was halted at this time in vic 807326 by heavy small arms and moderate SP fire. F Company maneuvered to E Company’s left and continued to advance preceded by strong combat patrols. By 0635 the First Battalion had captured a MG at 789305 and was clearing Holthausen (795300). At approximately 0730 E Company was able to continue its advance and by 0830 the Second Battalion had crossed the highway vic 808310 to 820309 and was advancing towards the woods to the south against small arms fire. By this time the First Battalion had cleared Holthausen and was preparing to send patrols forward. At 1020 E Company had secured the edge of the woods vic 811301 where it received a heavy concentration of artillery and mortar fire. The Second Battalion continued its advance in a column of companies, echeloned to the left. By 1145 the Second Battalion’s leading company was in the woods astride road at 812298. Elements of the First Battalion had reached a position vic 796293. At this point our units were held up by small arms and heavy artillery directed from the mine and factory area at 810278. An air strike was successfully directed on the mine and factory area at 1510 followed up by an advance of our Battalions. Aircraft located and destroyed an 8 gun 88mm battery, and effected marked reduction in subsequent hostile artillery fire. The units continued their attack against heavy small arms, MG and mortar fire. At the end of the period the 320th Infantry Regiment occupied positions as follows: Second Battalion, with E Company extending from 806228 to 812290, and F Company, south of stream, vic 816295. G Company had established and maintained contact with the 378th Infantry Regiment in vic 860330 at 0935, then was relieved from this duty by one platoon of the 75th Recon troops, and returned to Second Battalion reserve. First Battalion held outpost position vic 796293 and the south edge of Holthausen. Company C continued to occupy defensive position west of the Dortmund-Ems canal from 793284 to 791263, then west to 784263. Third Battalion (-)remained in regimental reserve. Company K remained attached to the 290th Infantry Regiment of the 75th Infantry Division.

 

12 April 1945: During the night April 11-12 approximately one platoon of enemy had infiltrated into C Company’s positions. First Battalion reported C Company had successfully cleaned out this infiltration by daylight. At day break the 320th Infantry Regiment continued attack with First Battalion on the right and Second Battalion on the left and the Third Battalion in reserve. In spite of heavy artillery preparations, First Battalion was able to make only very slow progress because of stiff enemy MG and mortar resistance. The Second Battalion advanced against similar resistance and by 1030 F Company had secured positions at 817288 and E Company completed clearing and occupying buildings vic 810285. A this time our advance was halted by order of CG, 75th Division, and the 320th Infantry Regiment was notified it would be relieved by elements of the 95th and 75th Divisions. The relief commenced immediately and by the end of period the 320th Infantry Regiment was assembled in vic Waltrop prepared to rejoin the 35th Division as per instructions contained in movement order No. 2, 35th Infantry Division, 122000, April 45

.

13 April 1945: CP of the 320th Infantry Regiment was enroute to vic of Ribbensdorf, Germany to sector of 19th Corps. At end of period the regiment had not completely

closed in. CP of the 320th Infantry Regiment opened at Ribbensdorf (297197) at 2215. Distance of displacement was 217 miles. Closure was in some instances delayed due to loss of vehicles which went on previously published route due to posting of guides on route adequate for day but inadequate for night guiding.

 

14 April 1945: CP of the 320th Infantry Regiment closed in new assembly area vic Ribbensdorf, Germany by 141030. 320th Infantry Regiment passed to 19th Corps control effective 141800 April 45 and was made available to CG 83rd Infantry Division for employment in emergency, with Corps permission. At end of period CP of the 320th Infantry Regiment, moving under control of the 19th Corps, was enroute from assembly area vic Ribbensdorf, Germany, to assembly area in sector of 83rd Division vic Brumby, Germany.

 

15 April 1945: CP of the 320th Infantry Regiment closed in new assembly area in the 83rd Division sector by 0710. At 1205 CT 320th received fragmentary order to force crossing of the Saale River at 151300 April 45 or as soon thereafter as possible and secure regimental bridgehead. After seizure of regimental bridgehead continue advance to the south in zone to Division boundary. One Battalion, 320th Infantry Regiment to be motorized and held in reserve vic Glothe (7175), not to be committed without permission of the CG 83rd Division. At 1230 CO issued order as follows: Regiment attacks in zone to force crossings over Saale River with the Second Battalion on the right, Third Battalion on the left and First Battalion in Division reserve at Glothe. The Second Battalion will force crossing over railroad bridge at 803764, attack south then east to regimental objective. The Third Battalion will force crossing vic bridge site vic 847767, attack southeast and east to regimental objective (west bank of the Elbe River). Time of attack 1500. At 1615 the Third Battalion reported Company K, employing boats, had succeeded in crossing Saale River. At 1720, the Second Battalion reported Company G had completed crossing the Saale River over a railroad bridge vic 803764. The Third Battalion advanced against small arms and MG fire, taking Grosse Rosenburg and pushing north. It had cleared Klein Rosenburg by 2245. I Company occupied bridgehead area vic Grosse Rosenburg protecting bridge site and bridging operations. Second Battalion advanced against similar resistance and at end of period, Company F occupied Gottesgnaden (786747); Company G occupied road junction at 335740. Company E occupied and outposted Trabitz (816755).

 

16 April 1945: During the night of April 15-16 the Second Battalion employed F Company to attack Schwartz. At 0320 the Second Battalion reported F Company had succeeded in taking the north portion of the town. At 0620 enemy infiltrated into Grosse Rosenburg and approximately 40 enemy attacked the bridge site at 848767. However, I Company succeeded in driving them off without any damage to the bridge. At 1300 one platoon of four light tanks was ferried across to the Third Battalion. At 1340 the 83rd Recon troop was attached to the regiment. Two platoons of light tanks of the 736 Tank Battalion were now attached to the Third Battalion. The Second Battalion was ordered to move Company G and one platoon of Company F to be attached to the Third Battalion and relieve Company I, guarding bridge site at 347766. At 1700 the Third Battalion with two platoons of light tanks attached attacked east towards Breitenhagen and by 1900 the Third Battalion reported Breitenhagen was cleared of enemy. The First Battalion reverted to regimental control and moved to assembly area in Tornitz preparatory to employment on right flank of the Third Battalion. This employment was dictated by the fact that Third Battalion moved E and Second Battalion S, thus opening center of regiment as advance progressed. It jumped off from vic Grosse Rosenburg at 2045. By 2355 it had advanced to positions vic 795742 where it halted for the night. Company F (-) held positions to south and east of Gottesgnaden and along railroad vic 820750. Company E occupied Trabitz.

 

17 April 1945: The First Battalion resumed attack at 0730 with A Company on the right, C Company on the left and B Company in reserve. A Company with one platoon of light tanks attached cleared Lodderitz by 1330. C Company had advanced with left flank on Elbe River to 926757. B Company was brought forward to attack between A and C Companies. Battalion continued advance against scattered small arms resistance and by 1630 had cleared Diebzig. At 1815 B Company cleared Kuhren and C Company reached limit of regimental advance. The Second Battalion resumed attack 170730. By 1650 they had seized Patzetz, secured area vic 862728, taken Sachsendahl, high ground at 842706, and Zuchau. The Third Battalion (-) Companies K and M was attached to CCR 2nd Armored Division and occupied positions east of the Elbe River, vic Flotz. Company K was attached to First Battalion as Battalion reserve in Lodderitz. Company M was attached to the 308th Engineer Battalion, 83rd Division, and were guarding Breitenhagen bridge site over Elbe river at 897787. The 83rd Cavalry Recon troop and Troop F, 113th Cavalry Squadron were at end of period released from attachment to the 320th Infantry Regiment.

 

18 April 1945: Positions of the First Battalion remained unchanged during the period. An officer led patrol from C Company succeeded in establishing contact with the 3rd Armored Division of 7th Corps, 1st Army at approximately 1800 in Aken; the town being controlled, but not yet cleared by this unit. The Second Battalion occupied Dornbock at 1112 without resistance. A G Company patrol was sent from Zuchau to Gransdorf where it established contact with friendly troops occupying the town. At 1258 the Second Battalion assembled and moved by shuttling to Breitenhagen closing at 1515. Company E relieved Company M in defense of bridge site at 897787 completing relief at 1615. Company G, on division order, moved to Barby to relieve Company C, 330th Infantry Regiment in positions along west bank of Elbe River. At end of period the Second Battalion (-) Company G were assembled in Walternienberg under control of the 329th Infantry Regiment, 83rd Division. Entire Third Battalion remained attached to CCR, 2nd Armored Division and occupied defensive positions east of the Elbe River north of Flotz.

 

19 April 1945: In an order received by CO of the 320th Infantry Regiment 190720 from CG of the 83rd Division, CT 320 relieved CCR of the 2nd Armored Division in zone with mission of defending north flank of Elbe River bridgehead. By end of period relief had been completed and the 320th Infantry Regiment occupied defensive positions east of the Elbe River as follows: First Battalion held left of regimental sector extending from 855862 to 885860 with Company B on the right, Company A on the left and Company C in reserve vic 862840. The Third Battalion held right of regimental sector extending from 884866 to 921859 with Company I on the left, Company L on the right and Company K in reserve. The Second Battalion (-) Companies F and G was assembled in regimental reserve in Flotz, Company G remained in defensive position vic Barby under control of the 330th Infantry Regiment. Company F was attached to CCR 2nd Armored Division to provide accompanying infantry in case of employment of its tanks.

 

20 April 1945: The 320th Infantry Regiment continued to occupy defensive positions east of Elbe River, dispositions of units were unchanged. Company G was relieved from control from 330th Infantry Regiment and rejoined Second Battalion in reserve area at Flotz.

 

21 April 1945: The 330th Infantry Regiment completed relief and accepted responsibility for sector of 320th Infantry Regiment at 0930. CP of the 320th crossed IP at Forderstedt at 1400 and the 320th Infantry Regiment

(-) Second Battalion closed into the assembly area vic Tangerhutte at 1800 in Division reserve. The Second Battalion, with one platoon of medium tanks attached closed in assembly area vic Weferlingen on a security mission protecting rear elements of the 35th Division.

 

22 April 1945: At the end of period the 320th Infantry Regiment remained in Division reserve dispositions of the units unchanged. Units conducted motor patrols in respective Battalion sectors.

 

23 April 1945: The 320th Infantry Regiment, situation and disposition unchanged.

 

24 April 1945: The 320th Infantry Regiment, situation and disposition unchanged.

 

25 April 1945: The 320th Infantry Regiment, situation and disposition unchanged. The 320th Infantry Regiment, received operations memo No. 36, Headquarters 35th Infantry Division, regarding move to new occupational area vic Hanover.

 

26 April 1945: The 320th Infantry Regiment (-) Second Battalion IP’d at Mahlpfuhl 260800 and closed in new area of responsibility vic Hanover 261530. The Second Battalion continued to guard rear area installations vic Weferlingen (Y2618).

 

27 April 1945: The 320th Infantry Regiment (-) Second Battalion continued to occupy unchanged positions. All units occupied, outposted and governed their respective areas.

 

28 April 1945: The Second Battalion closed in new area and reverted to control CO 320th Infantry Regiment at 1600. The 320th Infantry Regiment continues to occupy, secure and govern respective areas as follows: First Battalion, Headquarters and Headquarters Company at Burgdorf; A Company vic Ilten; B Company vic Farster Bauerschaft; C Company vic Otze; D Company vic Burgdorf. The Second Battalion Headquarters and Headquarters Company at Hohenhameln; E Company vic Neuolsburg; F Company vic Schwicheldt; G Company vic Sehnde; H Company vic Sedlum; Third Battalion Headquarters and Headquarters Company at Borsum; I Company vic of Sorsum; K Company vic Algermissen; L Company vic Machtsum; M Company vic Harsum; Cannon Company vic Luhnde; Anti-Tank Company and Service Company at Gleidingen; Headquarters and Headquarters Company at Rethen.

 

29 April 1945: The 320th Infantry Regiment continued to occupy, outpost and govern its area.

 

30 April 1945: The 320th Infantry Regiment continued to occupy, outpost and govern its area.

 

  1. The battle casualties for the month of April are as follows:

Officers

Enlisted Men

Killed in Action

21

Died of Wounds

1

Seriously Wounded in Action

1

8

Lightly Wounded in Action

3

58

Lightly Injured in Action

12

Missing in Action

2

30

Total

6

130

 

            Awards received by members of the Regiment are as follows:

 

Distinguished Service Cross

 

Silver Star

Soldiers Medal

 

Bronze Star

Regular

Oak Leaf Cluster

Regular

Oak Leaf Cluster

Officers

1

7

5

1

Enlisted Men

7

1

22

 

 

The Number of Purple Heart medals awarded is: 119

 

The number of prisoners captured for the period is: 863.

 

 

(Signature)

B. A. BYRNE

Colonel, Infantry

Commanding 

  Download a copy of this report in Microsoft Word format

Return to After Action Report Index

Sign Guestbook

View Guestbook

 

134th Infantry Regiment Home Page

Contact the Webmaster