134th Infantry Regiment
"All Hell Can't Stop Us"
Download a larger version of this photograph
Orville P. Robnett - 2nd Row from top, 2nd soldier right side. Identity of other soldiers unknown.
Camp Blanding, Florida is located south of Jacksonville on the shore of Kingsley Lake. It was established in the 1930s by the U.S. Navy and eventually became the site of Naval Air Station Jacksonville. It was leased to the U.S. Army in 1940 as an active duty training center. During the course of the war, Camp Blanding served as an infantry replacement training center, an induction center, a German prisoner of war compound, and a separation center. At one point during the war, the camp contained the population of the fourth largest city in Florida. There were 10,000 buildings, 125 miles (201 km) of paved roads, and the largest hospital in the state. It was one of the largest training bases in the country.
This photograph was taken sometime between March and August of 1944.
Thanks to Carolyn (Robnett) Bierman, daughter of Pfc. Orville P. Robnett, for this photograph from her father's collection