Volume 6, January 2000
Play the music for this webpage!"



Terry Meinke…...............…………....…….....Managing Editor
Tim Coulthart........….....................………….……..…....Editor
Ian Coulthart.............................................……..……....Editor


The success of Clan Coulthart will depend upon your contributions. The editors need your support. Please submit family histories, biographies, announcements, questions and suggestions for improvement to the managing editor at the address listed below or send E-mail to meinket@yahoo.com. Be sure to include your name, address and phone number so we can contact you if there is a question. Also feel free to include photographs with your stories. All photos will be returned after they are scanned. The editors will select which items to include in each edition of Clan Coulthart.

Terry Meinke
Managing Editor - Clan Coulthart
1004 Ridgewood Lane
Palatine, IL 60067 U.S.A.
(847) 359-4320


It is with great sadness that Clan Coulthart announces the death of Alfred Coulthard (1901-1999). Alfred was the leading family genealogist during the 20th century and he will be greatly missed. He spent approximately 60 years of his life researching all of the Coulthard(t) families and made contact with family members throughout the world. He died peacefully on September 28, 1999 at age 97 after a very short illness and was buried at the churchyard at Alton Pancras in Dorset, England. He leaves a son John and daughter Winifred as well as grandchildren and great grandchildren. Alfred's second wife, Doris, died a few days later on October 9, 1999.


The deadline for receiving information to be included in the April 2000 edition of Clan Coulthart is March 31, 2000.


All editions of Clan Coulthart are available in color on the Internet at: www.coulthart.com/newsletter.html


Congratulations!! In October 1999, Clan Coulthart celebrated its one-year anniversary. It was originally developed as a newsletter to preserve and distribute information about John Coulthart (1779-1852) who immigrated from Cummertrees, Scotland to Canada around 1825 and his descendants in North America. However, since its inception, the Editors have decided to include information about other immigrant Coulthart families and their descendants as well, including ones that spell the surname in a slightly different way. With this issue we welcome our newest readers from Australia. Additional information on some of our Australian cousins as well as others can be found on the Internet at "The Coulthart Family History Center" at www.coulthart.com. From the homepage just click on the menu option on the left entitled "Family Histories", then select the family history you would like to see. Be sure and let us know if you have anything to add.

This edition of Clan Coulthart contains Part II of the Coulthart Honor Role recognizing family members who served their countries. Due to the number of Veteran’s stories submitted by family members, this issue will be limited to the stories of Veteran’s who served prior to 1946. Veterans who served after World War II will be included in Part III of the Coulthart Honor Role which will be available in the April 2000 issue.

Now is the time to renew your subscription to Clan Coulthart. All subscribers should check to see if their one-year subscription has expired. Your current subscription expiration date is listed in the upper right corner of your address label, to the right of your last name. Please review your address label today and complete the form on page 11 of this newsletter to subscribe for another year. Please note that it is through subscriptions and sponsors that this newsletter is funded and it would not be available without your support.

Back to Table of Contents

The Civil War is sometimes called the War Between the States or the War of the Rebellion or the War for Southern Independence. The chief and immediate cause of the war was slavery and the election of Abraham Lincoln in 1860. Lincoln was a leading advocate for the abolition of slavery which threatened the economy of the southern states. By the time he took office on March 4, 1861, seven southern states had already seceded from the union. The war began on April 12, 1861 when the south opened fire on Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, South Carolina and lasted until May 26, 1865 when the last Confederate army surrendered. The war took more than 600,000 lives including President Lincoln’s, destroyed property valued at $5 billion and brought freedom to 4 million black slaves. The statistics below show the impact of the war in combatant lives.




% Killed













Of the 618,222 deaths during the war, 67 percent were from disease. What follows are the stories of several ancestors who served in this conflict.

Robert L. Coltart
B Company, 12th Infantry Regiment - Pennsylvania

Robert L. Coltart
I Company, 4th Cavalry Regiment, - Pennsylvania

David W. Coulthard
2nd LA Regiment - Minnesota

Henry G. Coulthard
C Company, 1st Cavalry Regiment - Michigan

William French Coulthart (1833-1916)
Private, Union Army
11th Minnesota Infantry, Company C

William was born in 1833 near North Lunenburg, Ontario. He was the son of William Coulthart (1800-1880) and Jean French, immigrants from Cummertrees and Lockerbie, Scotland. His family eventually moved north to a farm near Cannamore, Ontario where William spent several of his teenage years. He married Anna Maria Fetterley in 1852. The young couple settled on a farm on Concession 10, Lot 24 near Morewood, Ontario where their first five children were born: Jane (1853-1929), David (1855-1917), Phoebe (1857-1910), Samuel (1859-after 1929) and Henrietta (1862-1919). In 1864 the family moved to a farm in section 21 in JoDaviees Township near Blue Earth City, Minnesota where they homesteaded on 160 acres.

On August 20th, 1864 at age 31, William enlisted for one year in Company C of the Eleventh Minnesota Infantry Volunteers. Three days earlier the township had passed a resolution to offer a $500 bounty to any man enlisting. Money must have been one reason why William and his brother-in-law volunteered. On his enlistment papers, William is described as 5 feet 9 inches tall, with brown hair, blue eyes and a light complexion. The 11th Regiment was organized in August and September 1864 and the men were sent to Ft. Snelling near Minneapolis where they were trained. On September 20th the Regiment, now over 1,000 strong, marched to St. Paul and boarded steamboats for the trip south to La Crosse, Wisconsin. From there they were loaded into boxcars for the journey to Chicago where they were detained for a week while it was feared they would be diverted to fight in the Northwest Indian Expedition in the Dakotas.

Orders were finally received to proceed to their final destination, Gallatin, Tennessee where they were assigned to guard the Louisville and Nashville railroad in the north central part of the state, near Nashville, from Edgefield Junction to the Kentucky border. By October 12th the companies were all in position and things settled down into a regular routine of guard, picket and patrol. Company C was assigned to Richland. For a month or more prior to the Battle of Nashville, the section of the railroad guarded by the 11th Regiment was worked to its full capacity as troop and supply trains passed continuously on their way to Nashville. On December 15-16, 1864, the sound of the cannons could be heard in the distance as far north as Gallatin. After the Battle of Nashville, the men of the 11th were treated to their first sight of regular rebel troops, as train load after train load of prisoners were sent North for safekeeping. During the winter of 1864/65 William contracted dysentery and was assigned light duty as the company cook!

The 11th was relieved in late June 1865 and on the 26th they started their journey home. At Chicago, the entire regiment rolled themselves up in their blankets and slept in the side path on Michigan Avenue to the great admiration of hundreds of people who came to have a look at the war-worn veterans. They reached St. Paul on July 5th and were mustered out of service on the 11th. William returned to his farm in Minnesota. Within seven years he was forced to move and sell the property as he was unable to tend to it due to injuries received during the war. The family moved to Waseca, Minnesota where William became a drayman and street commissioner. William and Anna had five additional children while living in Minnesota: William (1867-1891) John (1869-after 1938), Sidney (1871-1872), Thomas (1879-1881) and a baby that died in infancy. William passed away in 1916 at age 83.

William Nathaniel Hunter (1846-1915)
Private, Union Army
7th Minnesota Infantry, Company A

William was born on December 10, 1846 near Morewood, Ontario, Canada. He was the son of William Hunter and Jane Coulthart (1812-1892). In 1863 when William was seventeen, his family left Ontario and moved to a farm in Sciota Township, Dakota County near Northfield, Minnesota. He enlisted for three years on March 25, 1864 in St. Paul Minnesota and joined Company A of the 7th Minnesota Infantry. On his enlistment papers he was described as 5 feet 7 inches tall with brown hair, blue eyes and a fair complexion. At the time of his enlistment he indicated he was 21 years old and from the town of Florence in Goodhue County where several of his Hunter cousins evidently lived. Often individuals would enlist in places other than their hometowns, especially if a bounty was being offered.

The 7th Regiment was first organized in 1862 during the Dakota Indian uprising that took place that year. The regiment had spent its first two years involved in various actions against the Indians in Minnesota and the Dakotas. In October 1863 they moved to St. Louis and remained there until April 1864 at which time William apparently joined them as replacement. Shortly after his arrival, the 7th moved to Paducah, Kentucky were they remained for a few months. For the next thirteen months they were engaged in expeditions against or in action with the enemy in Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri, Louisiana and Alabama. They fought in the Battle of Nashville on December 15-16, 1864 and the campaign against Mobile, Alabama from March 17-April 12, 1865. William was muster out on August 16, 1865 and returned to Minnesota.

He married his cousin Jane "Jennie" Harkness on December 10, 1873 in Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin where her family was living at the time. The newlyweds settled on a farm in Sciota Township, Minnesota near William’s parents. William and Jennie had six children: Barbara (1875), Margaret (1878), William (1880), Jessie (1882), Walter (1884) and James (1886). William remained on the family farm until his death on August 31, 1915 at age 68. He was buried at Oaklawn Cemetery in Northfield, Minnesota.

Back to Table of Contents

The Boer War was a conflict between the Dutch-descended population in South Africa, called Afrikaners, or Boers, and British settlers. In 1814 Great Britain acquired the Cape of Good Hope and began expanding her possessions in southern Africa. More British settlers were lured to the area in the late 1880’s when gold and diamonds were discovered. This caused ill feelings among the Afrikaners who felt their independence was threatened by an influx of immigrants. The British governor of Cape Colony resented the Afrikaners treatment of British subjects and amassed a force of at least 50,000 British troops. Hostilities began on October 9, 1899 when the president of the South African Republic demanded the withdrawal of all British troops with the alternative of formal war. The war ended four years later with the signing of the Treaty of Vereeniging on March 23, 1902. Not long after, the whole of South Africa became a part of the British Empire. British subjects from all of her colonies served during the Boer War and about 28,000 men were killed.

Robert Colthart (1841-1935)
Malvern Mounted Rifles, New Zealand

Robert Colthart was born in Crawfordjohn Parish, Scotland in 1841. His parents were William Colthart and Janet Cock. He immigrated to New Zealand in 1862 and married Margaret Fullerton in 1866. Robert and Margaret had nine children: Annie (1867), Margaret (1870), Agnes (1872), Robert (1875), William (1877), Edward (1879), Thomas (1881), Mary (1883) and James (1889).

During the South African Boar War, Robert joined the Malvern Mounted Rifles and although he did not leave New Zealand, he was prepared to in case he was needed. Robert passed away in 1935.

Back to Table of Contents
WORLD WAR I: 1914-1918

World War I began as a local European war between Austria-Hungary and Serbia on July 28, 1914 and developed into a global conflict involving 32 nations. The immediate cause of the war was the assassination in Sarajevo, Bosnia of Archduke Franz Ferdinard, heir to the Austrian and Hungarian thrones, by a Serb nationalist. The fundamental causes, however, were rooted deeply in the European history of the previous century, particularly in the political and economic polices that prevailed on the Continent after 1871, the year that marked the emergence of Germany as a great world power. The underlying causes of World War I were the spirit of intense nationalism that permeated Europe throughout the 19th and into the 20th Century and the political and economic rivalry among nations.

Twenty eight nations known as the Allies, included Great Britain, France, Russia, Italy and the United States, opposed the coalition known as the Central Powers, consisting of Germany, Austria-Hungary, Turkey and Bulgaria. The U. S. did not enter the war until April 6, 1917. The war ended with the signing of the armistice on November 11, 1918. It took more than 37 million lives at a cost of about $186 billion. Despite worldwide hopes that the settlement arrived at after the war would restore world peace on a permanent basis, World War I actually provided the basis for an even more devastating conflict. The peace treaties that emerged were inadequately enforced leading to the resurgence of militarism and aggressive nationalism in Germany and to social disorder throughout much of Europe.

The statistics below show the impact of the war in combatant lives from the areas in which Coulthart families and their descendants lived.




% Killed

British Empire












Sydney John Coltheart (1892-19??)
A.I.F., Australia

Sydney was born in Derby, Tasmania in 1892. He was the son of John Coltheart and Lizzie Bloomfiled. Syd joined the A.I.F. early in WWI and was badly wounded at Gallipoli, which resulted in one of his legs being much shorted than the other. The difference of about 75 mm was corrected by an extra thick sole on one of the specially made boots he had to wear the rest of his life. Although handicapped, he returned Australia and worked for some time in the mining industry. He married Coralie Clay in 1923 and they had two children: Betty (1924) and Velma (1929). Sydney was the grandson of John Colthart (1833-1937) who emigrated from Scotland to Tasmania in 1855.

George Thomas Coulthard (1893-1960)
Private, U.S. Army
M.G. Company, 312th Infantry

George was born in Caledonia, New York on October 10, 1893. He was the son of Thomas Coulthard and Mary Bradburn. After graduating from high school, he continued his education and became a schoolteacher. At age 24 he enlisted in the army and served during WWI.

After his discharge on May 31, 1919, he returned to the Clifton, New York area where he continued his career as a teacher. He married Elsie Cooper and they had one child: Thomas (1925). Elsie passed away five years later and George married his second wife Anna Curtis in 1937. George lived in the Clifton area for 43 years and passed away in 1960 in Dover, New Jersey. George was a descendant of Thomas Coulthard (1859-1944) a railroad clerk who immigrated to Caledonia, New York from England prior to 1881. The origins of this Coulthard family can be found near Bolton in Cumberland County England.

Elmer I. Coulthart (1896-1980)
U.S. Army

Elmer was born in 1896 in Auburn, North Dakota. He was the son of Walter Coulthart and Pauline Reichelt. During the late 1910’s he enlisted in the army and served during WWI.

After his discharge, Elmer returned to the Grafton area and married Ida Johnson in 1922. They had two children: Donna (1927) and Glenn (1930). Elmer worked as a butcher in the Grafton area and passed away there in 1980. He was the grandson of Walter Coulthart (1820-1892) of Grafton, North Dakota.

Frank Harkness Jr. (1888-1972)
Private First Class, U.S. Army
20th Engineers, 46th Company

Frank was born in 1888 on a farm near Randolph, Minnesota. He was the son of Frank Harkness Sr. and Barbara Jean Hunter. Frank enlisted in February 1918 and was sent by troop train to Camp Dodge, Iowa. At first he was assigned to the infantry but was soon transferred to the 43rd Engineers at the American University in Washington D.C. where he spent several months. In May when his ship left New York City for France he looked back at the Statue of Liberty and wondered when and if he would ever return home.

Frank landed at Brest, France during the last week in May 1918. The men were transported to Paris where Frank took part in a parade since he played the French horn in the army band. Frank was stationed near Epinal, Mulhouse and Bal on’ Alsace where he supervised several soldiers at a sawmill. The men sawed logs into lumber during the daylight hours and then Frank drove the lumber at night to the front lines where it was needed. He could not use the truck’s headlights so he had to guess where the mountain road was, which at spots wasn’t far from the German line and their soldiers. After the war came to an end but before returning home, Frank went to the front lines where the fighting had been going on. He saw the insanity of it all and wished he hadn’t. He left France on the German warship "Laviathon" for home. The ship had been captured during the war and was now being used by the U.S. as a troop ship to return service men to the states. It landed in Newport News, Virginia and Frank took the train home to Minnesota.

After the war Frank remained in the Northfield area and married Sarah Simpson in 1920. They settled on a farm near Randolph. Frank and Sarah had three children: James (1924-1924), Mary Barbara (1927) and Roberta (1929). Frank passed away at age 84 in 1972 in an ambulance en route to the hospital in Faribault, Minnesota. Frank was the grandson of Jane Coulthart - Mrs. William Hunter (1812-1892) of Northfield, Minnesota and Christiana Coulthart - Mrs. Francis Harkness (1816-1876) of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.

Ward Milton Hunter (1895-1969)
Corporal, U.S. Army

Ward was born in 1895 in Sciota Township, Minnesota. He was the son of Walter Hunter and Phoebe Coulthart. During WWI he joined the army and served as a corporal.

Ward married Gertrude Boltz and they had seven children: Norman (1924), Catherine (1926), John (1927), Raymond (1930), Lavonne (1933), Jerry (1942) and Janice (1945). He passed way in 1969 in Spokane, Washington. Ward was the grandson of Jane Coulthart - Mrs. William Hunter (1812-1892) of Northfield, Minnesota and William Coulthart (1833-1916) of Waseca, Minnesota and the great grandson of William Coulthart (1800-1880) of Cannamore, Ontario.

Back to Table of Contents

Edwin Darwin Hughes (1904-1998)
U.S. Navy

Edwin was born in 1904 in Mankato, Minnesota. He was the son of Thomas Hughes and Henrietta Coulthart. His mother died when he was 15 years old and he went to Clark, South Dakota to live with his sister and her family. In January 1921 when Edwin was 17 he convinced his brother-in-law to allow him to join the Navy. He enlisted for three years and was sent to boot camp at Goat Island, California where he trained as a radio operator. After boot camp he spent time at Taloosh Island in Puget Sound, Washington. During his years in the Navy Edwin sailed on the battleship U.S.S. California which was based out of Long Beach, California. This battleship was built in Mare Island, New York in August 1921. For 21 years it served as flagship of the Pacific Fleet, then as flagship of the Battle Fleet. Her measurements were: length, 624 feet; bean, 97 feet; displacement 32,300 tons; speed, 21 knots; and complement, 57 officers and 1,026 enlisted men. She was armed with (12) 14"/50 guns, (14) 5"/51 guns and (2) 21-inch submerged torpedo tubes.

Between 1921 and 1924 Edwin sailed to many exotic ports on the U.S.S California including: Culebra and Vieques Islands in the Virgin Islands; Puerto Rico; the Panama Canal; Honolulu, Hawaii; Sitka, Alaska; and Hong Kong, China.

After his discharge in 1924, Edwin returned to South Dakota where he met and married Theresa Voss in 1925. Edwin and Theresa had three children Ethel (1928), Patricia (1933) and James (1936). The family moved to Park Rapids, Minnesota where Edwin worked as a linotype operator at the local newspaper, the Park Rapids Enterprise. He retired in 1969 and moved to Menagha, Minnesota where he and his wife opened a rock shop. He passed away at age 92 in 1998. Edwin was the grandson of William Coulthart (1833-1916) of Waseca, Minnesota and the great-grandson of William Coulthart (1800-1880) of Morewood, Ontario.

Leonard Bruce Coltheart (1906-1966)
Royal Australian Navy

Leonard was born in 1906 at Lottah, Tasmania. He was the youngest child of James Coltheart and Lizzie Bloomgfield. He enlisted in the Royal Australian Navy and was trained as a radio technician, serving in the Mediterranean and at shore transmitting stations, including Frankston and Victoria in the 1930’s. In 1938 he married Enid Cameron and they had two children: Max (1939) and Lenore (1940). Leonard was posted to Belconnen in Canberra and served at H.M.A.S. Coonawaara in Darwin during WWII. He was promoted to Chief Petty Officer and returned to Belconnen after the war. He retired from the Navy in 1954 and passed away in 1966 at age 59 from a complication of childhood rheumatic fever. He was the grandson of John Colthart (1833-1937) who emigrated from Scotland to Tasmania in 1855.

Back to Table of Contents
WORLD WAR II: 1939-1945

World War II began in 1939 when Germany invaded Poland and the British Empire (Great Britain, Canada, Australia and New Zealand) declared War on Germany. The Germans, Italians and Japanese aligned to form the Axis and the members of the British Empire, the Russians and most of the other European countries were aligned as the Allies. Although the United States did not get involved until the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, America was supportive of the Allied effort and had been supplying weapons and other materials to them for some time. In early 1941 there was a feeling that the U.S. would soon be joining the Allies and many individuals joined the service before the U.S. became involved. The day after Pearl Harbor, the U.S. declared war on Japan and as a result the Germans declared war on the U.S. Of the 16,353,659 Americans who served during WWII, 62% or 10,110,114 were drafted.

The resulting war was divided into two major theaters of operation; the European and the Pacific. Troops from the British Empire and the U.S. fought on both fronts. The objective of the war was to stop the German dictator Adolph Hitler and his Japanese allies who were spreading their tyranny and oppression throughout the world. On June 6, 1944 the largest invasion of its kind in world history occurred when U.S., British and Canadian troops stormed the beaches in Normandy France. It was the turning point of the war in Europe. In the Pacific, the turning point was the battle of Iwo Jima fought during February and March 1945. The war in Europe ended on May 7, 1945 when Allied forces overran Germany and the Germans surrendered. The war in the Pacific continued for three more months until the Japanese surrendered on August 14, 1945 after American forces dropped the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The statistics below show the magnitude of the war on the combatants from the countries from which our ancestors and relatives came.


Peak Strength

Combat Deaths




Great Britain









New Zealand



61 million military and civilian lives were lost during WWII. What follows are the stories of the men and women from our family who served during this conflict.

James Coltheart (1916-)
Royal Australian Air Force

James was born in 1916 in Queenstown, Tasmania. He was the son of Clarence Coltheart and Violet Delanty. He served in the R.A.A.F. from August 1939 to November 1945 and held the rank of Flight Sergeant when demobilized. The latter part of his service was in Papua, New Guinea at Port Moresby, Milne Bay and Nadzab. He married Alice Shortall and they had three children: Geoffrey (1946), Sally (1848) and Nicholas (1952). James was the great grandson of John Colthart (1833-1937) who emigrated from Scotland to Tasmania in 1855.

Randal Stuart Coulthard (1910-1947)
Corporal, British Army
Eighth Army

Randal, the son of John Coulthard and Ellen Grey, was born in Liverpool, England in 1910. Randal was trained as an architect. His certificate, dated May 13, 1935, was from the Associate of the Royal Institute of British Architects. He was an avid photographer and a prolific letter-writer. He loved books and sent his brother’s children, who lived in Canada, many books, letters and snapshots which were treasured by them.

At age 29, Randal joined the 8th Army Artillery in 1939. He served during the African Campaign with General Montgomery. He lived a charmed life during this campaign sustaining no injury. He kept a scrapbook of the small mementos that made up his daily life. It contained theatre programs, ticket stubs, matchbox covers, snapshots, notes, etc. depicting the events of an ordinary solider living in those times. He was sent out of Tobruk to Alexandria for an aircraft recognition course. During his leave, Tobruk was attacked by Rommel’s troops in June 1942. Randal escaped the battle but lost many of his friends during Tobruk’s fall to the German Army. He received the following commendations for his years in the army: the Africa Star, the War Medal, the Territorial Medal for Efficient Services and the Defense Medal.

When the war ended in 1945, Randal was 35 years old. He decided to rebuild his life in another country. He was upset with the devastation in his own country and felt that a new beginning was the best answer for his own future. He left England and headed to Australia. He promised his mother that once he was established in Australia, he would send for her and they could live together in a peaceful country untouched by the ruins of war. Randal wrote a journal and kept his family in touch with his experience along the way. When he reached Australia, he found accommodation and began to explore the country. In November 1947 he went swimming on his own. He was caught in an undertow and drowned. His charmed life ended much too abruptly. How ironic it was to have escaped the perils of Tobruk only to die in a distant country alone and unknown.

Carlton H. Coulthart (1923-1998)
Private First Class, U.S. Army
Texas Infantry Division

Carlton was born in 1923. He was the son of Harold Coulthart and Lora Waterman. In 1942 after graduating from high school, Carlton joined the army at age 18. His unit was headed to France for the D-Day invasion, however an ear infection prevented Carlton from going overseas.

After his discharge in 1945, Carlton married and had three children: Cathryn (1946), Rudy (1948) and Douglas (1955). He spent the remainder of his life in the Dallas, Texas area and passed away in 1998 in Jasper, Texas. Carlton was the great grandson of John Coulthart (1830-1919) of Gouverneur, New York and the great-great grandson of William Coulthart (1800-1880) of Cannamore, Ontario.

Donald E. Coulthart (1918-present)
T-5, U.S. Army Engineer Corp
2765 Base Topographic Battalion

Donald was born in 1918. He was the son of Harold Coulthart and Lora Waterman. In 1943 when Donald was 25 years old, he enlisted in the army. After basic training he was assigned to the Engineering Corp where he was trained as a cartographer (map design). From March through September 1945 he was stationed at a base outside Paris, France where he was assigned to the photo-mapping Battalion in the 46 DET Service with the 8th Army Air Force. While in France he served as a photo-mapping film inspector for the Casey Jones Project. After the war ended, Donald flew photo-mapping missions over Western Europe from Iceland to Dakar, West Africa with the 8th Army Air Force. He was honorably discharged in 1946 and returned to the states.

The photograph on the left is of the three Coulthart brothers who served during WWII. From left to right: Gerald, Donald and Carlton.

Donald married Jean Woodger and they had two children: William (1945) and Linda (1947). He pursued a career with the United States Government as a cartographer. He currently lives in Northport, Florida with his wife. Donald is the great grandson of John Coulthart (1830-1919) of Gouverneur, New York and the great-great grandson of William Coulthart (1800-1880) of Cannamore, Ontario.

Gerald W. Coulthart (1922-present)
Tech. Sgt., U.S. Army
Medical Corp

Gerald was born in 1922. He was the son of Harold Coulthart and Lora Waterman. In 1942 when Gerald was 20, he enlisted in the army. After completing his basic training he joined the Medical Corp.

After his discharge in 1945, Gerald married Doris Biggers and they had four children: Geraldine (1944), John (1947), Lora (1955) and Kenneth (1958). They divorced and Gerald married his second wife Elaine Nussbaum and they had one child: David (1982). He currently lives in Basking Ridge, New Jersey. Gerald is the great grandson of John Coulthart (1830-1919) of Gouverneur, New York and the great-great grandson of William Coulthart (1800-1880) of Cannamore, Ontario.

Fred Robert Harkness (1918-present)
Lieutenant, U.S. Naval Reserve
Flotilla 6, Commander Group 6, Skipper LCT 1320

Robert was born in 1918 on a farm near Waterford, Minnesota. His parents were William Llewellyn Harkness and May Howland. He enlisted in the service at the same time as his brother Leonard. Around May 15, 1941 the two boys, living together at their rooming house, decided that the United States was most certain to get involved in the war raging in Europe and if they enlisted, they would all be officers upon graduation. They drew straws to see which branch of the service they would try and all returned that night members of the chosen branch. Bob and Leonard were both accepted into the Naval Air Corp. Immediately after Pearl Harbor they were given notice to report, Bob to New Orleans and Leonard to Minneapolis.

Bob was called to active duty on December 12, 1941. He reported to New Orleans and his base at Lake Pontchartrain on December 14. He completed flight training and was slated to go to Pensacola for advanced training in March 1942 when he had an eardrum perforated on a practice flight. Because of his contract to become an officer after graduation, the Navy sent him for further training at Gustavus Adolphus College in Portsmouth, Virginia, and finally to Northwestern University, Chicago Campus where he graduated an Ensign on May 10, 1944. Bob married Margal Johansen two days later on May 12.

After completing his advanced training at Solomons, Maryland, he received orders to report to San Francisco for duty in the South Pacific. Starting from New Zealand, North Island, he was attached to the 1st and 6th Marine Divisions. His ship delivered troops and equipment as the U.S. retook the Islands from Japanese control participating in the landings at Noumea, New Caledonia, Guadalcanel, New Georgia, New Britain, Bougainville, Rabaul, Palau, Yap, Guam, Rota, Saipan, Tinian and Mindanao in the Philippines. The next landings were to take place on the Mainland of Japan. Fortunately the war ended before that took place. Bob was declared "essential" and stayed on in the area until he returned to the U.S. in December 1945 for reassignment. He was reassigned to the same area but declined the appointment and turned himself in on his acquired points. He was discharged on January 15, 1946 but remained on call for 10 ½ more years until June 1956. All during his service he had requested transfer to the Naval Medical Corps because of his college training in microbiology. In January 1946, he received an official transfer to the Medical Corps as a full lieutenant in the regular Navy but decided not to accept the appointment.

After his discharge, Robert returned to Minnesota where he pursued a career as an efficiency expert for various agricultural related companies. Robert and Margal had three children: Elizabeth (1946), Patricia (1947) and Bonita (1951). In 1951 the family moved to Ripon, California where he and his wife currently live. Robert is the great grandson of Jane Coulthart - Mrs. William Hunter (1812-1892) of Northfield, Minnesota and Christiana Coulthart - Mrs. Francis Harkness (1816-1876) of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.

Leonard Llewllyn Harkness (1916-present)
Lieutenant, U.S. Navy

Leonard was born in 1916 on a farm near Waterford, Minnesota. His parents were William Llewellyn Harkness and May Howland. Leonard entered the service a few days after Pearl Harbor and reported to Minneapolis for basic training. He became a Naval Aviator and served two tours of duty in the Pacific. Leonard received his commission and wings in Corpus Christi, Texas on September 18, 1942. Ten days later on September 27th, he married Maxine Johnson. He shipped out to the Pacific on October 16, 1942. Leonard flew Catalina PBY’s in the Solomans campaign and returned to the U.S.A 17 months later in March 1944. He was awarded the Navy Air Medal for his valor on July 16, 1943. He was then assigned to the Navy’s First Hospital Squadron VH-1. This squadron flew PB2Y Coronados (four engine flying boats) equipped with 43 stretchers. Leonard and his group were responsible for evacuating wounded for 10 months until April 1945. This stint included evacuating wounded from Saipan and Iwo Jima. They delivered the patients to Honolulu or Manus in the Admiralty Islands (now part of Papua, New Guinea). He then returned to Corpus Christi N.A.S. where he served as a flight instructor teaching instrument flying.

After his discharge on October 26, 1945, Leonard returned to Minnesota where he pursued a career as a county extension agent in Mankato. He was later appointed to the position of State 4H Program Director with the University of Minnesota. He served in that position for 31 ½ years before retiring in September 1980. Since retiring, he has organized and conducted a number of tours which included taking over two hundred friends to the South Pacific (Fiji, New Zealand and Australia) in seven groups in 1977, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1990, and 1991. Leonard and Maxine had five children: Margaret (1946), Marsha (1949), Thomas (1953), Dolores (1962) and Sara (1963). They currently live in Shoreview, Minnesota. Leonard is the great-grandson of Jane Coulthart - Mrs. William Hunter (1812-1892) of Northfield, Minnesota and Christiana Coulthart - Mrs. Francis Harkness (1816-1876) of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.

Ethelbert Francis Hunter (1912-1973)
Tec 5, U.S. Army
Company M, 382nd Infantry Regiment, 96th Division

Ethelbert was born in Parkersburg, Iowa on October 8, 1912. His parents were William Francis Hunter and Mae Harter. Ethelbert entered the service on October 29, 1942 and left for the Pacific Theater on July 28, 1944. His overseas tour of duty included such places as the islands in the Philippines and Asiatic Islands where he served as an ammunition bearer and gunner for a heavy machine gun squad. His duty was done in the face of adverse weather conditions and extreme combat conditions. Ethelbert was wounded in action near Okinawa, Japan around May 25, 1945 and after treatment was sent back into battle. He received many medals including a Purple Heart, two Battle Stars, Good Conduct Medal, American Theater Service Medal, Asiatic Pacific Theater Service Medal and the Philippine Liberation Service Medal. He returned to the States on December 3, 1945.

After his discharge on December 10, 1945, Ethelbert returned to Minnesota where he worked for the Minneapolis - Moline Tractor Company. He married Fern Kurvers in 1944 and they had five children: Mary Jean (1946), James (1948), Wayne (1949), Ronald (1951) and Roxanne (1957). Ethelbert passed away on October 27, 1973 in Shakopee, Minnesota of a massive heart attack. He was a beloved husband and father and loved by all that knew him. Ethelbert was the great-grandson of Jane Coulthart - Mrs. William Hunter (1812-1892) of Northfield, Minnesota.

Laurence E. Hunter (1926-present)
Merchant Marine

Larry was born in 1926 in Waterford, Minnesota. He was the son of Laurence Hunter and Mary Hendricks. In December 1944 Larry left home in Hastings and went to Sheepshead, New York where he joined the Merchant Marine. The Merchant Marine was originally organized under the auspices of the Coast Guard and their mission was to supply the Allied forces. They had the highest casually rate during WWII because their ships were unarmed and frequently the targets of enemy attack. In 1990 their contribution during the war was finally recognized and they were granted Veterans status by an Act of Congress.

During the war years Larry sailed throughout the South Pacific delivering needed supplies to U.S. troops. When the atomic bombs were dropped in Nagasaki and Hiroshima, Larry was in Okinawa. After the war he sailed to Rotterdam, Belgium. While in the area he took the train to Margarten to visit the U. S. military cemetery where his brother Capt. James Hunter was buried. Since then Larry has made a number of trips to Holland including one in 1996 when the Dutch citizens of Udenhout unveiled a memorial to the crew members of the B-24 bomber that tragically crashed in 1944 in which Larry’s brother was killed.

After leaving the Merchant Marine, Larry returned to Hastings and married Eleanor Kummer in 1947. He became the Regional Director of the Oil, Chemical and Atomic Workers (OCAW). He currently lives in Hastings, Minnesota with his wife. Larry is the great-grandson of Jane Coulthart - Mrs. William Hunter (1812-1892) of Northfield, Minnesota.

Michael Allan Hunter (1923-1988)
U.S. Army Air Corp

Michael was born in 1923 in Waterford, Minnesota. He was the son of Laurence Hunter and Mary Hendricks. Michael entered the service during WWII and was trained as a turret gunner on a B-24 Liberator bomber. He later became a gunner instructor in Texas where he remained for the duration of WWII.

After his discharge Michael returned to Minnesota. In 1946 he married Shirley Kummer and they had five children: James (1947), Michelle (1948), Brenda (1949), Teresa (1952) and Michael (1953). They divorced after the birth of their fifth child. Michael married his second wife, Maxine Harper. He passed away in 1988 in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Michael was the great-grandson of Jane Coulthart - Mrs. William Hunter (1812-1892) of Northfield, Minnesota.

Wendell Eugene Hunter (1918-present)
Private First Class, U.S. Army
1st Medical Regiment

Wendell was born in 1918 in Perham, Minnesota. His parents were William Francis Hunter and Mae Harter. Wendell entered the service on January 23, 1941 and completed his basic training at Fort Ord, California. He undertook additional training in San Diego, California after which he was assigned to his first duty station at Camp White in Medford, Oregon. His overseas tour of duty included stints at Port Morsby, Goodenough Island, Southport and Hollandia in New Guinea, Indonesia. He served as a litter bearer, ambulance driver, hospital ward master, medical technician, cook and baker. Wendell saw action in Hollandia and was awarded the Good Conduct Medal as well as the Battle Star. In November 1943, while on R & R at Camp White, Oregon, he married Cornelya ‘De’ Brint whom he had met there earlier. Shortly after the wedding he returned to the South Pacific and was finally assigned back to the U.S. on December 15, 1944. Wendell received an honorable discharge on May 5, 1945.

After his discharge Wendell returned to Minnesota where he farmed on the original homestead acquired by his great-grandfather William Hunter in 1863. Wendell and De had two children: William (1946) and Carl (1948). They currently live on the family farm northeast of Northfield, Minnesota. Wendell is the great-grandson of Jane Coulthart - Mrs. William Hunter (1812-1892) of Northfield, Minnesota.

Holger Johnson (1918-present)
U.S. Army

Holger was born in 1918. He was the son of Holger Johnson and Mable Coulthart. Holger served in WWII, Korea and Vietnam. Holger married Helen Nelson and they had two children: Jacqueline and Shirley (1939). They divorced and Holger married his second wife Florida Bolton. Holger and Florida had five children: Vernon (1955), Patricia (1961), Johnnie (1962), Michael (1966) and Bruce (1973). He currently lives in Tacoma, Washington with his wife. Holger is the great grandson of Walter Coulthart (1820-1892) of Grafton, North Dakota

Helen Jean Morrison (1914-1989)
WAVES 1944-1946

Helen was born in 1914 in Mankato, Minnesota. She was the oldest daughter of Garfield Morrison and Ethel Hughes of Lincoln, Nebraska. Helen received her "boot camp" training at Hunter College in New York City. From there she was sent to Norman, Oklahoma for more specific training and then was assigned to Camp Shoemaker near Pleasanton, California. Helen was the first WAVE to be made chief at a Naval Base – Shoemaker, California. During the late 40’s and early 50’s she was a member of the Naval Reserve.

She married Alex Raper and they had one son: Jeffery (1954). They were later divorced and she and her son took her maiden name: Morrison. Helen passed away in 1989 in Los Altos, California at age 75. Helen was the great-granddaughter of William Coulthart (1833-1916) of Waseca, Minnesota and the great-great granddaughter of William Coulthart (1800-1880) of Cannamore, Ontario.

Neil Nicklason (1918- )
Royal Australian Navy

Neil was born in Pyengana, Tasmania in 1918. He was the son of Frank Nicklason and Elsie Coltheart. Neil enlisted in the R.A.N. in 1942 after the entry of Japan into the War and served until 1947. After the war he went to work in Papua, New Guinea in 1948 and except for one interlude in Australia in the 1950’s resided there until 1976. Neil married Hazel Bulter in Port Moresby in 1950. They currently live in Queensland, Australia. Neil is the great grandson of John Colthart (1833-1937) who emigrated from Scotland to Tasmania in 1855.

Sydney Nicklason (1916- )
Royal Australian Air Force

Sydney was born in 1916 in Pyengana, Tasmania. He was the son of Frank Nicklason and Elsie Coltheart. In 1936 Sydney joined the 22nd Light Horse Regiment. Shortly after mobilization in 1939 he transferred to the R.A.A.F. where he trained as a wireless operator/mechanic and continued in that field until the end of WWII. After the war he returned to the family farm in Tasmania which over the years he turned into a flourishing dairy farm. Sydney married Hedi Seeburger in 1956 and they had five children: Kristina, Frank, Ingrid, Lesley and Gerald. Sydney is the great grandson of John Colthart (1833-1937) who emigrated from Scotland to Tasmania in 1855.

Richard Eugene Palmer (1920-present)
U.S. Army

Richard was born in 1920. He was the son of Howard Palmer and Pauline Coulthart. He enlisted in the Army in 1942 and served until 1946 and again from 1950-1952. During WWII he served in Europe in SHAEF offices in London and Paris and in the U.S. Forces Headquarters in Berlin and later Frankfurt. Before VE Day he was a senior press censor in the central SHAEF press censorship office in the Ministry of Information building at the University of London. After VE day he was assigned to public relations.

After his discharge, Dick married Elizabeth Lee in 1948. He was called back into the Army during the Korean War from 1950-1952 and was assigned as an instructor in psychological warfare at Fort Riley, Kansas and later at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. Dick and Elizabeth had two children: Melissa (1953) and James (1956). They currently live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Dick is the great grandson of John Coulthart (1830-1919) of Gouverneur, New York and the great-great grandson of William Coulthart (1800-1880) of Cannamore, Ontario.

Lee Schumaker
U.S. Army

Lee served in the South Pacific during WWII. After his discharge he returned to northern Minnesota and married Ethel Schumaker. Lee and Ethel had three children: Lynnette (1951), Leigh Ann (1953) and David (1957). He currently lives near Menagha, Minnesota where he owns and operates a landscape nursery. Lee’s wife Ethel is the great-granddaughter of William Coulthart (1833-1916) of Waseca, Minnesota and the great-great granddaughter of William Coulthart (1800-1880) of Cannamore, Ontario.

John Wilson Scott (1915-1997)
Lieutenant Commander, Royal Canadian Naval Service

John’s first posting in April 1942 was to HMCS Esquimalt, Victoria, British Columbia where he remained until January 1943. In August, he was assigned to the merchant cruiser Prince Robert for a 10 day training cruise. Towards the end of this cruise they along with their sister ships, the Princes David and George and two minesweepers were ordered to proceed to Kodiak, Alaska to provide escort between Kodiak and Dutch Harbour for American ships building up supplies to reoccupy the most westerly of the Aleutian Islands which had been occupied by the Japanese shortly after Pearl Harbour. He returned from this mission at the end of October 1942.

In January 1943 he was transferred to the Naval Research Unit which was headed by Drs. Charles Best (co-discover of Insulin) and Donald Solandt and situated at the University of Toronto. In this capacity he worked on a number of problems: the testing of special goggles for seamen working on deck at night so that they would not lose their night vision during necessary visits to indoor lighted cabins; living conditions in barracks relevant to the spread of infections; problems on submarines which involved a visit to the U.S. submarine base at New Haven, Connecticut; testing sea-sickness pills. The latter tests were carried out on Landing Craft Tanks (LCT) sailing from Boston to Halifax in the spring of 1944 as American ships prepared to sail across the Atlantic to join in the D-Day landings in Normandy.

In January 1945 John was transferred to London, England to study problems associated with work at high temperatures which could become significant as the war continued against Japan; specifically with the reoccupation of Singapore, plans for which were in progress. Fortunately as not only John but his two brothers Russ and Bill Workman and his sister Aleda (a nursing sister in the Canadian army) had all volunteered for the war in the Pacific, this was not necessary as the Japanese surrendered after the dropping of the two atomic bombs. With the move to London, John was promoted to Lieutenant Commander and "loaned" to the Royal Navy.

The plans to move him east which were in place at the time of VJ-Day could not be revoked in time to prevent him being shipped east on HMS Devonshire according to those earlier plans. They were not ready for him in Ceylon as planned so that he stayed with the ship to Australia. By that time orders had come to return all Dominion troops home at the first opportunity to their home base. Consequently he stayed with the ship, returning to England by early December 1945 and to Halifax by HMC Puncher, then by train to arrive in Toronto on Christmas morning 1945.

He remained in Active service until his discharge in July 1946 when he began his post-graduate training at the Toronto General Hospital. Upon completion of his studies he became the first director of the Electronencephalography Lab at the Toronto General Hospital and professor of Physiology at the University of Toronto. He also served on several Defense Research Board Committees

John married Grace W. Workman and they had two children: James and Aleda. Grace is the granddaughter of James Byron Coulthart (1857-1914) of Apple Hill, Ontario and the great granddaughter of Jonah Coulthart (1831-1890) of Lunenburg, Ontario.

Back to Table of Contents

Clan Coulthart is brought to you by individual sponsors and by subscription. The cost to publish one edition of Clan Coulthart currently runs between $150-200 U.S. The exact cost depends on the number of pages that are printed and mailed. Clan Coulthart is currently being distributed free of charge for a limited time to approximately 225 individuals in Canada and the U.S. with several copies going overseas. If you enjoy reading it and can afford to, please consider subscribing or becoming a sponsor. We need at least 15-20 subscriptions to cover the cost to publish each edition. We currently have 66 subscriptions. Any individual who contributes more than the subscription price will be considered a sponsor. All sponsors will have their names listed in the issue they sponsor.

A one-year subscription, consisting of four editions of Clan Coulthart, is available for $10 U.S. or $15 Canadian.

All sponsors and subscribers should make their checks payable to and mail as follows.

Canadian sponsors or subscribers send to: U.S. sponsors or subscribers send to:

Ian Coulthart Terry Meinke

43 Wheatland Avenue 1004 Ridgewood Lane

Kanata, ON K2M 2L2 Palatine, Illinois 60067



[ ] Yes, I want to subscribe to Clan Coulthart. Enclosed is my check for $10 U.S. or $15 Canadian. Please send my subscription to:

[ ] Yes, please renew my subscription to Clan Coulthart. Enclosed is my check for $10 U.S. or $15 Canadian. Please send my subscription to:




City: ________________ State/Province: _________________ ZIP: ____________



You can also give Clan Coulthart as a gift. All gift subscriptions will include a personalized card identifying from whom it came.

[ ] Yes, I want to order a gift subscription to Clan Coulthart. Enclosed is my check for $10 U.S or $15 Canadian. Please send the subscription as follows:

TO - Name:__________________________________________________________________

Address: ___________________________________________________________________

City: ____________________ State/Province: _________________ ZIP: ________________

FROM - Name: __________________________________________________________

City: _________________________State/Province: _______________________________

Back to Table of Contents